Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Meeting With The Gallery Ladies

Last Wednesday, Kailey and I were invited to meet the gallery ladies at the venue.
I went through the front parking lot where the show is supposed to be held. I pictured where the band, art tents and baking sale/cashier table would be set up; and I smiled with excitement.

As I walked in, Kailey and the gallery ladies were waiting for me. They happily greeted me we got some chairs to sit down. I had my print out of the show information in my hand and we basically went over what the students went over with me. They were okay with all the plans we presented which was very nice.
We talked mostly about our equipments: tents, tables, chairs, power and etc.

The gallery already owned two tents and a big table and they were willing to let us use.
We already had tables but they said we could just use theirs since that could be more convenient.
They also got out of their way to use their power source through their window.

They also offered to provide us with hooks for the display. "It's fine I have million of those at home!" said one of the gallery lady with such friendliness.

I did not forget to ask them about the parking issue. During the weekend, people often use the gallery parking lot to eat at Chow's which is right across. She said feel free to put ropes around the parking lot and indicate that the parking lot is not available for the weekend. That also confirmed that we are allowed to use the entire parking lot which was expected and hoped.
They also told us that at least one of the gallery managers will be with us the whole time to watch over us and help us with our community service.

They thought us donating our money to the Red Cross for Japan's natural disaster crisis was a fine idea. One of the lady suggested that some one should paint at the scene which tents to attract a good curious crowd. I volunteered to do so since painting is my main hobby; that should be very fun for me and the audience.

The ladies were willing to lend us anything we needed.
They were awfully generous; but they had a price for it which Kailey and I were more than happy to pay.
Ms. Miller owns a charity group that collects donated teddy bears which goes to police officers. When a child is involved in a stressful situation that involves the police, for example, a father being arrested, the police will give the child a teddy bear during the commotion. I thought that was a wonderful and creative charity.

She wanted us to make a facebook group for the charity and tell others. She said she does not know much about computers, and of course, we are part of the facebook generation and we could definitely help. Also, if anyone at Acalanes is interested for their community service, they could help.

The ladies said if we want to add more artists, works or anything, we could do it. They were really flexible about our planning.

One of Kailey's concern was neighboring stores and houses being disturbed by our music. Kailey was wondering if we should go around the area asking if the music at the gallery is okay. However, the ladies said that they had music around before and it seems like the neighbors are okay all the time which was a relief.
We did tell them that it would not be anything too loud or strange; our musicians are planning to play peaceful and calming songs. I thought it might be their concern since we are teenagers and youngsters are known to have a music taste that is not exactly similar to adults.

Everything was covered so far and all of us were happy with our meeting. I have told them that they can contact me if they had any questions or concerns. I could guess that they really liked us since they were being so nice and generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment