Thursday, October 14, 2010

Family Fight, Border Patrol Raid, Baby Deported

     Immigration; Probably the most talked about issue in America, especially in the north west coast. This article from the New York Times presents an unfortunate story of a mother and a daughter.



A few days before her daughter Rosa’s first birthday, Monica Castro and the girl’s father had a violent argument in the trailer they all shared near Lubbock, Tex. Ms. Castro fled, leaving her daughter behind.
Ms. Castro, a fourth-generation American citizen, went to the local Border Patrol station. She said she would give the agents there information about the girl’s father, a Mexican in the country illegally, in exchange for help recovering her daughter.
Ms. Castro lived up to her side of the deal. But the federal government ended up deporting little Rosa, an American citizen, along with her father, Omar Gallardo. Ms. Castro would not see her daughter again for three years.

“She was sent to Juárez, which is now the most dangerous city on the face of the planet,” said Susan L. Watson, one of Ms. Castro’s lawyers. 

The mother and child reunion, at the United States Consulate in Ciudad Juárez in 2006, was rocky. Rosa, then 4, did not recognize her mother and did not want to leave her other relatives.
“She was crying,” Ms. Castro recalled. “I started talking to her in Spanish, and she started yelling. She would hit me with her doll. She kicked me. She didn’t want anything to do with me. She wanted to be with her grandmother.”


 I do not understand how Ms. Castro could not keep her baby from being sent away. My father is a first generation American and my brother and I could stay in America with no problem although my mother is Korean.
I agree with Ms. Castro for the reasons why she sued the government. The agents had no legal rights to deport her daughter, a child of a fair American citizen.
When the daughter finally reunites with her mother, she does not even recognize her or want to be with her. It is a sad reality. I hope this never happens to any body.

No comments:

Post a Comment